How To Claim Tax Deductible Donations With Churches or Charities

There are two categories. With a charity, the way you know whether you can claim a tax deduction is to Google their ABN. They need to be what we call a DGR or a Deductible Gift Recipient.

You can do this by going to the Australian Business Register

( and let’s say you want to give to St John’s Ambulance. Click on the details of the ABN and down the bottom you will see Deductible Gift Recipient or DGR status. This is how to check if you want to claim a tax deduction for a donation. Keeping in mind, you will also need a tax receipt or tax invoice as well.

Now with churches, you can only do this from a trust, but if you tithe or give to a church then you can do that from pre-tax money. How to check whether this can happen is to type in the church’s name in the Australian Business Register, go into their ABN, and look out for Charity Tax Concession Status – income tax exemption from the 1st of July, 2000. How this works is, your trust can distribute before tax to the church, and then the church doesn’t pay tax.

If you need to have a chat with an Accountant about your business – book in a free Strategy Chat with an Inspire Life Changing Accountant today –

Share This

Select your desired option below to share a direct link to this page.
Your friends or family will thank you later.